Learnings of a Teacher

I'm only a few days away from the end of my first year as a teacher. I think this has been one of the hardest years of my life but looking back I have become such a much better teacher and person for my struggles.

I have gotten new insight into my character from the experience that I would have never gained otherwise. My tenacity and resilience surprised me. My patience surprised me. I never thought I was a patient person but after dealing with twenty-three kids, I've discovered that I so am.

My passion for teaching and changing lives is greater than I had ever imagined. I want so much for my students that it sometimes drains me emotionally for all the effort I invest in them. I feel like the mother of twenty-three kids and it is not easy.

I've learned that sometimes a teacher is the only stability a child has.

I've learned that children need boundaries and when you give them they fight back...hard. You should never give up because they will come to realize how much you care.

I've realized that there are just some kids I won't like and that's ok. I still need to have high expectations and believe in that child's ability to be successful. That is not easy either.

Kids like strict. They prefer it actually.

I've learned that kids can read you like a book. They see right through the facade you wear so be genuine.

I've learned that I adore these kids that were thrust upon me in the middle of the year with no real preparation of what was to come and with absolutely no clue as to what to do.

Yay for the end! Thank God I'll only have this journey of first once. I'm happy for the lessons but I wouldn't want a repeat.

Ciao!!


Labels: