It's a Wrap Folks


So I might be just a tad premature considering that I still have to be here for the next five or so weeks but I want to celebrate the end of my first year living in Abu Dhabi.

It has been quite a journey and I have enjoyed almost all of the ride.
There was that one time though when the parking structure of our apartments caved in and we were all evacuated in the middle of the night and didn't have access to any of our belongings for days. Picture being in the same pajamas and undies for like 3 days straight. Eek...no bueno.

It wasn't as bad as it sounds, no one was hurt and only a few cars were damaged.
Truth be told, I am actually glad that it happened.  We were put up in the Yas Hotel, a five-star hotel where we was treated like royalty for a month all expenses paid.
It was fantastic but from the reaction of some people you would have thought that we had been moved to a school gymnasium with nothing but a blanket and bucket, eating donated canned goods.

When we finally moved out we had totally new apartments and people actually got the opportunity to choose where they wanted to live. A luxury only few have been afforded.
We were all closer to the city and not stuck out in the boonies far from civilization like we were before.
Don't get me wrong, I loved my first apartment but the compound as they call it was a 30-40 dirham ride away from everything including grocery shopping. If you aren't familiar with the currency of Abu Dhabi, that is a lot of money for a cab ride. Just as a comparison, my cab ride now is 8 dirhams to go to the grocery store. Big difference.

Now I live 10 minutes away form the city and just two weeks ago a supermarket and laundry mat opened on the ground floor of my building. I actually would never need to go outside again!

I have said this before and really I am not trying to brag but I have been blessed to become friends with some great ladies. I think I may have found the most awesome ladies to befriend in the entire UAE.
Without them my life here would not have been even a quarter amazing as it has been. The many laughs and leisurely hours spent drinking tea were my sustenance this year. I am looking forward to the next year and all the shenanigans we will get into.

As with any journey, there have been ups and downs but as this first year comes to a close I can truly say that I am blessed. God really hooked me up this year and I know that he will continue to take care of me.
I wouldn't trade these experiences for a pot of gold pieces...hmmm, well maybe two pots but only if they came on a gilded chariot along with a handsome prince.

Peace out y'all, it's a wrap.

Labels: ,